|Not just apples|
I know that most of you already know about Genetically Modified Foods, and other artificial ingredients in most products sold in our supermarkets, but I still hope that you watch her talk, as it is powerful, full of interesting (and terrifying, I must add) information and quite inspiring.
(Here's the transcription of the talk into Spanish)
Here are some of my takeaways from the talk:
- Any product from the supermarket which comes in a box probably contains allergens.
- In the US, if it hasn't been proven dangerous, then it is fine to eat. Thus, many countries around the world do not allow ingredients that are considered perfectly fine here.
- Our tax dollars are actually contributing to the protection of corporations that use genetically modified seeds which are patented.
- Organic foods are much more expensive than regular food in part because there is additional regulations that organic farmers need to comply with.
- Companies like Kraft, Coca-Cola and Walmart use different recipes in different countries, always leaving the worst ingredients for the US, as the regulation is so lax here.
- Our health care system is also impacted by these GMOs. Our bodies are not used to these synthetic new products and our health care system cannot take care of all the new numbers of ill people because of it.
- We all have the power to change the world, even if it starts just by changing what we serve at our table.
The most toxic ingredient in our food supply is greed.
— Robyn O'Brien (@unhealthytruth) April 28, 2013
Do you read the labels of the food you eat? Are you concerned about GMOs? Tell me what you think and, as always, thanks so much for reading.